Asbestos Replacement Materials
Many older machines and equipment may have asbestos materials present as sealing ropes and tapes or insulation. What can be used to replace it?
For most applications, replacements can be fiberglass, Fiberglass/Silica blend, silica or ceramic.
The replacement should be based on the maximum continuous temperature expected, without any expected flame or fire exposure.
For thermal applications with no direct flame or fire exposure up to:
- 1200F / 648C - Choose Fiberglass materials
- 1350F / 732C - Choose Prosil Fiberglass/Silica blended materials
- 1500F / 815C - Choose Vermiculite Impregnated Fiberglass materials
- 1900F / 1037C - Choose Silica materials
- 2000F / 1093C - Choose Ceramic Fiber materials
For any applications where a flame or fire exposure can be expected, materials are limited to Silica or Ceramic based.
Do not hesitate to contact our technical support if you have any questions regarding cross referencing a product to replace an asbestos based application.